The following Job Opportunity information is provided on behalf of Xcel Energy.
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you’re looking for.
Responsible for the implementation, negotiation, and management of industry-wide enabling agreements (and associated support documentation) covering the purchase and sale of energy commodities and related services required by the commercial operations, energy supply, and marketing & trading groups. Works with counterparty and internal Legal and Commercial Operations groups to negotiate agreements subject to internal approval of any non-standard terms. Identifies contract issues requiring legal review and input from the Front Office, and documents and implements solutions through coordination with the Front Office, Legal, and Risk Management departments. Supports the review of terms and conditions and associated ‘papering’ of non-standard transactions executed under enabling agreements.
Manages integration of critical contract information into various internal information databases and retrieval systems. Coordinates execution and implementation of agreements and set up of counterparties across broader organization, including Vendor Management, Tax, Accounting, and Risk Management. Provides back-up support to Confirmation team covering daily processing of confirms during periods of heavy demand and vacation schedules.
Works closely with energy traders, marketers, risk management, IT systems, accounting and billing personnel.
- Contract Development and Analysis: Responsible for the implementation, negotiation, and management of industry-wide enabling agreements (and associated support documentation) covering the purchase and sale of energy commodities and related services. Evaluate contract and credit provisions contained in agreements drafted by third parties to ensure consistent with corporate contract templates and requirements. Identify contract risk issues/language that require legal analysis and interpretation. In coordination with others, develop initial drafts and implement solutions with counterparties to minimize corporate risk. Review and provide input on non-standard agreements. Monitor contracts for re-openers, renewal dates, and termination dates. Recommend alternate or additional provisions subject to final review by Legal, Credit and approval by management. Ensure all contracts and agreements are in compliance with company policies, risk, regulatory and accounting reporting and disclosure requirements including FAS133.
- Contract Database System Management. Responsible for maintenance of various corporate contract, confirmation, records management and retrieval systems and processes. Coordinate the transfer of contract provisions, counter party information, and physical records to these systems. Trouble shoots system failures and helps devise fixes and/or workarounds. Works closely with Accounting to assure that all documentation is timely entered in compliance with internal auditing and SOX reporting requirements. Train and support users in compliance with and utilization of these systems and processes. Maintains organization of files / records within internal corporate contract management systems.
- Counterparty Management Across Functional Groups. Coordinates execution and implementation of agreements and set up of counterparties across broader organization, including Vendor Management, Tax, Accounting, and Risk Management. Obtains key counterparty information (e.g., W-9, Know Your Customer details) and works with key functional groups (e.g., Vendor Management, Tax, etc…) to set-up counterparty in internal risk management, accounting, and Vendor Management systems. Maintains counterparty information in systems and updates/confirms validity of key contact and notice provisions on a periodic basis.
- Regulatory Reporting and Compliance. Assists in preparation of filing of executed contracts, amendments and terminations with the FERC and various state regulatory agencies (e.g., EQR). Assists with preparation of required reports for Independent System Operators and related entities (e.g., MISO, ERCOT, CAISO, PJM, Western Systems Power Pool, and FERC). Assists in researching and tracking FERC filings in order to evaluate their business impact and proposed contract and regulatory mitigation strategies, as necessary.
- Internal Data Requests and Support of Regulatory Filings. Primary responsible party for receiving and responding to internal requests requests for information on contracts. Supports broader team in response to requests regarding historical transaction activity for internal analysis and regulatory filings / support.
- Strategic Planning. Proposes contract templates, credit and regulatory strategies which enhance the Company’s ability to compete for new revenues but with minimal contract risk in the wholesale energy market. Assists in researching and tracking FERC filings and industry trends in order to evaluate their business impact and proposed contract and regulatory mitigation strategies, as necessary. Participates in industry groups focused on contract templates (e.g., EEI, NAESB, ISDA, etc…)
- Confirms Support. Supports broader team as required, including providing back-up support for daily confirmation process as needed during periods of high demand and vacations.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years of contract administration, analysis, and/or related experience.
- Experience within an energy, trading or commercial organization preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge (testing may be required) of key risk-related wholesale contract law and bankruptcy concepts/provisions and experience negotiating, working with and developing same with counterparties.
- Experience with advocating Company positions and policies with counterparty decision-makers including attorneys, officers and other authorized representatives; preparing and presenting a package of final draft documents with few remaining issues for discussion and direct interface with internal Legal Department, executive approvers and authorized signatories; and completing negotiations with counterparties based on input/changes required by internal Legal Department and/or executive management, if any, leading to the full execution of documents.
- Strong proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills including demonstrated proficiency with document management.
- Paralegal experience
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you’re ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO – Denver || CO – Denver || United States (US) || Risk Audit and Compliance || 25270:Risk Audit and Compliance || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $62,700 to $89,033 per year
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 34341
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org